CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

pre med

I had entered this short program of about a month..
I would like to "cremate" my experiences of this pre-med program..

The FIRST WEEK:

The first day was very hectic. We got lost on the first day.. medical faculty is joining with mechanical faculty and we still lost..
It was all about introduction..
We were introduced to the lecturers..even the deputy dean was also there (what a shock!)..
We were also had been given briefings about the whole medicine course.. What is all about.. And most of the lecturers were expecting too much from us.. That made me feel suffocated because of too much expectation..
Then we were given module.
At the first glance to my module, I could say that the coordinator is very good. When it came to pronouncing her name, my tongue was twisted..Her name is Dr Damayanthi Durairajanayagam (Try to say it fast )..
There were a lot of foreign lecturers actually but mostly are indians. I wonder why there are lots of indian lecturers? Does Malaysian lecturers do not qualify enough to become the lecturer of medicine? I could hardly counted the number of Malay lecturers in the medical faculty..
The thing is most Indians do have good english but you know how they pronounce the words.. It was very difficult at first to understand what they were talking because they talked too fast. I couldn't cope up.. Gradually, it became much easier.. Well, everything is hard at first, rite?

During the first week, we learnt about the blood pressure of human body and nomenclature of the anatomy. I listed here:

Plane
1. Saggital plane
2. Mid saggital plane
3. Transverse plane

Relative to direction
1. Superior
2. Inferior
3. Lateral
4. Medial
5. Proximal
6. Distal
7. Anterior
8. Posterior

Relative to movement
1. Pronation
2. Supination
3. Reflexion
4. Extension
5. Protrution
6. Retrution
7. Circumduction
8. abduction
9. Adduction
10. Opposition
11. Reopposition
12. Dorsiflexion
13. Plantar flexion
14. Inversion
15. Eversion
16. Elevation
17. Depression

We also learnt about the blood pressure phisiologically..
Blood pressure depends on cardiac output and also total peripheral resistance..
Changes in the cardiac output or TPR can cause hypertension and hypotension..
BP is always stated in 2 numbers (systolic/diastolic) and measured in mm Hg.
The device that we used to measure bp is sphygmomanometer (pronounce it is worst than spelling it.Believe me) together with stethoscope..
BP also depends on our physical condition. Exercising, anxiety, fever, posture and many other conditions affects our bp.
Apart from the sphygmo thing, we also learnt about a new device to measure our breathing properties which is so called a spirometer. It was very hard to get an appropriate result. We can also estimate our lung age. Guess what, my lung capacity is enough only for 60 yrs more. I think there's a problem in the experiment. hehe
I think that's all about the first week. I think that is easy. BP, who doesnt know what it is?

Apart from all the bp things, we did entered the anatomy lab with cadavers in it! Sounds really creepy, huh? hehe..but na.. it's not creepy at all. I didn't even had goosebumps but it was a little bit scary. And the formalin was very ... i dunno what to say.. The odour was very pungent. It went straight to the nose and eyes.. then I started to got cough and my eyes started to tears.. That's the side effects of the inhaling too much formalin. There were about 8 adult cadavers (I think so) and 2 baby cadavers.. I couldn't imagine how I'm gonna dissect it in the future.. I felt sorry for it.. Juz to mention it, the cadavers had been kept there for 5 yrs.. that's a long journey..

0 comments: